Need to Node – Volume 15
Quite a bit of work stemmed from the Node.js Collaborator’s Summit, which happened in Berlin just prior to JSConf EU 2018–some of which will lead to successful new projects and efforts! Here's a quick recap of what's happened online in the world of Node.js since the last Need to Node:
What’s New in the Node.js Project
- An initial implementation of workers in Node.js has landed in master, helping developers offload heavy work out of the process’s event loop.
- V8 6.7 has landed on Node.js master, which introduces BigInt to Node.js.
- The i18n Initiative has officially launched its translation tooling, using CrowdIn to enable individuals who speak languages besides English to contribute to the translations effectively and smoothly.
- The Release WG is currently discussing Development Kit and Deployment Kit versions of Node.js, focusing on streamlining the size of the Node.js binaries for production deployments.
- The team from Microsoft has shipped firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Two new versions of node-gyp have shipped, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org!
- A new version of llnode shipped, email@example.com.
- At the Node.js Collaborator’s Summit, a few new groups were spun up. One of which is the reliability group, focusing on making the Node.js CI more consistently reliable.
Awesome Articles, Links, and Resources
- The EmpireJS CFP closes on Friday!
- There’s a Cotton Bureau campaign for libuv t-shirts, which closes on the 13th!
- Massive.js - a data mapper for Node.js and PostgreSQL
One Last Thing...