Need to Node – Volume 42
Node.js Webpage, Worker threads, Security Working Group, and NodeConf Colombia are some of the hot topics this week!
Check this week’s Need to Node to keep up to date with the latest news in Node.js project, events, and awesome articles. You are always welcome to collaborate and participate!
What’s New in the Node.js Project
- The Node.js webpage has some new features! The website is now available in Russian and progress is being made on the Portuguese translation!
- There is an issue on the node-gyp repo about where, how and who to maintain in GYP for clarity in changes, who approves the PRs and how to keep everything sync and upstream with Node.js.
- The current state of signed packages in the Security Working Group of Node.js is being discussed and the best practices for updating dependencies "securely", and what could be done to make the process more secure.
- There is an issue in the Diagnostics Working Group for creating a use case survey 2019 to collect information from the community about Node.js diagnostics use cases.
- Check out the next iteration and progress of the quic protocol in this issue.
Awesome Articles, Links, and Resources
- Understanding Worker Threads in Node.js in this blog post you can find how Node.js is structured, how Worker Threads help with CPU-intensive operations and some examples that will help you understand this experimental feature - byLiz Parody
- Protecting Package Publishers with npm Token Security in collaboration with GitHub’s token scanning partnership program, whenever you commit or push a change to GitHub in a public repository and an npm token is found in the change, it is sent to npm for validation.
- Node vs Python 3: Which Is Fastest? Spoiler... it’s Node.js by a long shot!
- Node.js Memory Management in Container Environments Best practices for managing memory in container-based Node.js apps - by Ravali Yatham
- How to Create a Secure Node.js GraphQL API This GraphQL tutorial outlines how to create an API for use in Node projects and examines how it compares to REST-based solutions - by Marcos Henrique Da Silva
- NodeConf Colombia is over and it was a massive success!! ✨
One Last Thing...