Need to Node – Volume 40
npm passes the 1 million package milestone, Node v12.4.0 (Current) Released and webinar that you should check out tomorrow: Node.js and Serverless - an Evolving Space, Gaps and Benefits.
Check this week’s Need to Node to keep up to date with the latest news in Node.js project, events, and awesome articles. You are always welcome to collaborate and participate!
What’s New in the Node.js Project
- This is the month for Node.js milestones! Not only did the runtime turn 10 years old, but also
npmreached the 1 million package!
- To celebrate the first decade of Node.js, check out the History of Node.js on a Timeline
- Node v12.4.0 (Current) Released the speed of Node releases continues to impress! This release includes:
- The JSON variant of the API documentation is no longer experimental
- You can now override the default HTTP server socket timeout (of 2 minutes) using the
- You can use the experimental
--heap-prof flagto start the V8 heap profiler and write the heap profile to disk before exit.
- In V8, the object returned by
v8.getHeapStatistics()has two new properties:
- In just four days, the Node+JS Interactive CFP will close, so hurry up and submit your proposal!
- There is an issue on the Technical Steering Committee to add two new collaborator roles on the Node.js project:
- Triage (beta): Recommended for contributors who need to proactively manage issues and pull requests without write access
- Maintain (beta): Recommended for project managers who need to manage the repository without access to sensitive or destructive actions
- Now that the Collab Summit is over, there is an issue to run a retrospective on the Summit, about what went well and what can be improved from different perspectives (organizers, attendees, collaborators). If you went to the Summit, please share your opinion!
Awesome Articles, Links, and Resources
- Join us for a webinar on June 11th! Node.js and Serverless - an Evolving Space, Gaps and Benefits
- Key Takeaways of JSConf EU and what Made it Special check out some remarkable talks in the conference and what made it unique! - by Liz Parody
- How to Mock Services Using Mountebank and Node - by Dustin Ewers
- A Guide to Rolling Your Own Node Authentication while it’s a good exercise to implement your own authentication systems, middleware like Passport does make the process easier - by Santiago Quinteros
- How to test Next.js apps - by Nirmalya Ghosh
One Last Thing...