N|Solid is a superior Node.js platform enhanced to help you build, manage, secure, and analyze mission-critical Node.js applications.Get Started
Need to Node – Volume 20
We've had quite a few interesting new discussions, teams, and initiatives kicking up over the past few weeks in the Node.js GitHub organization. While reviewing this for this week's article, I was actually rather shocked to discover some of the new work that the project is doing – truly exciting things that I'd have previously thought impossible.
Check out some of what’s happened in the Node.js GitHub organization over the past week:
What’s New in the Node.js Project
- The newly created Tooling Team has begun discussions with a bang, discussing the possibilities of enabling bundling as a priority with the coming introduction of ESM support in Node.js.
- There’s currently discussion around creating a repository to discuss a Dynamic Modules Specification in the Node.js organization, per a TC-39 decision.
The Modules Team has created an internal fork of Node.js to begin building out the implementation of ECMAScript Modules (ESM) support in Node.js. This approach is similar to how the HTTP/2 implementation operated, and is the suggested route over the older enhancement proposals approach (the repo for which was recently archived).
Beyond simply migrating the vulnerabilities that the Security WG maintains, there is also an ongoing discussion of an open API to consume those vulnerabilities using Algolia.
Shipped Last Week
Awesome Articles, Links, and Resources
- Automagically collect and prettily surface test coverage with Benjamin Coe’s c8 – now using Node’s built-in coverage checks.
- JITJSON – a just-in-time JSON compiler from Mathias Buus
- "Achieving Software through Redesign" - Slides from Mike Samuel’s talk at Nordic.js
- "Verdaccio and deterministic lock files" by Juan Picado
One Last Thing...