NodeSource Meetup: Streams and Promises in Node.js - Recap
Thankfully, we were able to have Lauren Spiegel and Lam Chan as guest speakers to talk about their experiences with Streams and Promises, and how they've implemented them with Node.
Here's our quick recap of January's NodeSource Meetup, featuring two talks, one on streams and one on promises, in addition to a group panel featuring both Lauren and Lam, with Rod Vagg as an additonal panel member.
Talk 1: Ready Set Stream by Lauren Spiegel
Streams in Node.js are an extremely powerful tool that developers can use to manipulate data to their will. In Ready Set Stream, Lauren runs over a quick introduction to streams, and walks through three examples of custom streams - a stream to calculate a MD5 sum, calculating the MD5 of streamed files from multiple sources, and pre-fetching data into a queue to speed up feeding that data into a response.
Talk 2: Using Promises in the Enterprise by Lam Chan
Group Panel: Streams and Promises in Node.js with Lauren Spiegel, Lam Chan, and Rod Vagg
For this group panel, the NodeSource Meetup speakers Lauren Spiegel and Lam Chan are joined by Rod Vagg and Dan Shaw to discuss use of promises with streams, the similarities between the two, the WHATWG Streams, making wrapping callback structures to use promises, and a ton more.
- Ready Set Stream package by Lauren Spiegel
- Streams API in the Node.js Docs
- Stream Handbook by Substack
- Node.js Streams for the Utterly Confused by Thorsten Lorenz at LXJS 2014
- Enterprise-grade Node.js Promises with Async and Bluebird by Lam Chan
- Slide deck for Lam Chan's talk
- ES6 Promises in Depth by Nicolás Bevacqua on Pony Foo
- Bluebird Promises library