Need to Node – Volume 62
In this volume of Need to Node, you can find the latest news on the Node.js v13.10.0 (Current) Released, a complete list of Node.js best practices, and 2 parts of Understanding the ECMAScript spec.
Check out this week’s Need to Node to keep up to date with the latest in the Node.js project, events, and awesome articles. You are always welcome to collaborate and participate. Please let us know if we missed a piece of content you think should be included!
What’s New in the Node.js Project
- Node v13.10.0 (Current) Released. Notable changes include: introducing async-context API and support passing generator functions into
- Find out the pull request for Node.js Version 14.0.0 🎉
- Check out the latest Node.js 14 - V8 version roadmap which will be released on 21st of April and promoted to LTS on October 20th!
- There is a WIP in the libuv repo to add API for measuring event loop idle time intending to having a very accurate measurement of idle time spent in the kernel's event provider. This allows retrieval of the idle time from another thread to allow more accurate time-series data collection (instead of only collecting the data when the event loop can process a callback). By Trevor Norris
Awesome Articles, Links, and Resources
- Highlights of Node.TLV. Last week was the first edition of Node.TLV, a conference created by the Node.js community in Israel hand in hand with contributors and collaborators from all over the world. Check out this article to see what made it so special! By Liz Parody
- The Node.js best practices list, has reached 86 practices! Check out this repository with a summary and curation of the top-ranked content on Node.js best practices, and content written by collaborators - by Yoni Goldberg
- ES modules in Node today, in this interesting article, you can find an introduction to ES modules, a brief history of ES modules, adding support for ES modules in Node, comparing and contrasting features and finally what is next for ES modules. By Alexander Nnakwue
- Making it Easier to Work With Local npm Packages. Find out a little trick for working with local npm packages that involves specifying a file system path instead of a package version in your dev dependencies. By Aaron Powell
- Understanding the ECMAScript spec, part 1 This article explains how to take a simple function in the spec and how to understand the notation. By Marja Hölttä
- Understanding the ECMAScript spec, part 2 In this article you can understand how the spec defines a language feature, in this case
prototype lookup, across all the different layers: the syntactic constructs that trigger the feature and the algorithms defining it. By Marja Hölttä
InternalError. By Chidume Nnamdi
React Summit, April 17 — Amsterdam, The Netherlands — A full-day, two-track conference on all things React and boasts being the biggest React specific conference in the world.
NodeConf Colombia, July 10-11 – Medellin, Colombia — A non-profit event, where the attendees will be sharing in an environment of inclusion and respect, having access to relevant information through talks, workshops, and great experiences with the Colombian Node community!
One Last Thing...